Guide to Making CannaMilk & Cannabis Beverages
Whether you’re in the mood for a beverage that’s hot and comforting like tea or cider, something refreshing like lemonade or a milkshake, or something with alcohol, there are a variety of options for adding a dose of cannabis as you quench your thirst.
Keep in mind that, like cooking with cannabis, making beverages requires that you Decarboxylate your marijuana to activate its THC components. You can use CannaButter, Cannabis Tincture, or the Cannabis Milk recipe, below. (See: Guide to Decarbing Cannabis for Edibles and Topicals, Guide to Cannabis Edibles and Making Your own CannaButter, and Guide to Making Cannabis Tinctures.)
Opinions vary as to whether marijuana used to make cannabis milk should be decarbolyzed. The fat content in whole milk is not as high as that of butter or oil, so many cannabis chefs take the extra step decarbing step.
Regardless of which process you use, cannabis milk without additional flavoring won’t be particularly tasty.
- Double Boiler
- Whisk or Wooden Spoon
- Glass Bowl
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Storage container (preferably glass)
- 1 Quart (4 cups) Whole Milk. (*See Note)
- 1-2 Grams (decarbed) high quality marijuana, depending on use. If using as a creamer for coffee or tea and want a full “dose” of THC, use a larger amount. If using as a milk base for hot chocolate, milkshakes or using with your cereal, use the smaller amount.
- Bring the milk to just boil in a double boiler, and lower heat to a simmer.
- Add your cannabis slowly, stirring constantly until well-mixed.
- Simmer for 30-54 minutes, checking regularly. If a film develops on top of the mixture, stirring will re-incorporate. Milk will turn a light green.
- Fit strainer into bowl, line with cheesecloth
- Pour milk through strainer, allow to drain thoroughly. (Some marijuana chefs do not strain the milk – they use with
- Transfer strained milk to storage container; store in refrigerator.
* To increase fat content, especially if choosing not to decarbolyze marijuana, Half-and-Half or whole cream can be used. For those who are lactose intolerant, Almond Milk is an acceptable alternative.
While there are some who enjoy “brewed” cannabis leaves, THC is not water soluble, so there are no psychoactive/medicinal effects. For this reason, Cannabis tea is usually made by brewing regular tea, using sweetener and flavorings to cover to counter the cannabis taste, and adding:
- Cannabis Milk (Recipe Above)
- CannaBudder for a rich, latte-like drink, (See Guide to Cannabis Edibles and Making Your own CannaButter), or
- CannaTincture (See: Guide to Making Cannabis Tinctures.)
- Medium Saucepan
- Large pitcher
- 1 C Sugar
- 1 C Water
- 1/2 Gallon Cold Water
- 1 C Fresh Lemon Juice
- 4 TBL Cannabis Tincture
- 1 Lemon, sliced
- 1 Lemon cut into wedges (Garnish)
- Make a Simple Syrup by combining Sugar and 1 Cups water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Add Cannabis Tincture to cooled Syrup.
- Add Gallon of cold water and lemon juice to a large glass pitcher. Add the simple syrup and lemon slices. Stir well.
Hot Cannabis Cider
- ½ Gallon Apple Cider
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ Tsp Ground Allspice
- ½ Tsp Whole Cloves
- ¼ C Brown Sugar (or to taste)
- 3- 4 TBL Cannabis Tincture
- Wrap Cinnamon Sticks and Cloves in cheesecloth, tie ends
- Pour apple cider in crockpot
- Add Cheesecloth Spice Packet
- Stir in Brown Sugar and Cannabis Tincture
- Heat on high and bring Cider to a boil.
- Reduce heat to warm; heat for 1 hour.
- Remove cheesecloth.
- Stir Cider and serve from warm crock.
Cannabis Hot Cocoa
- Medium Saucepan
- Spoon or Whisk
- 1/3 C Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 3/4C White Sugar
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/3 C Boiling Water
- 3 ½ C Milk
- ¾ tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2-Tbl Cannabis Tincture
- Whipped Cream
- Combine cocoa, sugar and salt in saucepan
- Blend in boiling water
- Bring to a soft boil while stirring/whisking
- Simmer on low about two minutes, stirring to ensure it doesn’t scorch
- Stir in 3 ½ Cups Whole Milk and heat until hot, but not boiling
- Remove from heat
- Add vanilla
- Add Cannabis Tincture
- Add Half-and-Half and stir
- Divide into four mugs
- Top with whipped Cream
Mixed Cannabis - Alcoholic Beverages
Do you have a favorite Alcoholic Mixed Drink? Although Cannabis Tinctures blend best with sweet or sour mixed drinks, you can add 1 tablespoon of Cannabis Tincture to your favorite libation. If you choose to try a double-whammy beverage, make sure you exercise care – don’t drive or operate heavy machinery.
- Infused cannabis milk, butter and tinctures vary in strength depending on the amount of THC in the finished product. Volumes used in these recipes are general doses. Make sure you give your beverage at least 30 minutes to an hour to take effect before having another.
- Always label your cannabis beverages and keep out of the reach of children.