People who want the medical benefits of cannabis without the psychoactive buzz need to shop for the CBD (Cannabidiol) content. CBD is credited with treating alcoholism, antibiotic-resistant infections, arthritis, chronic pain, depression, diabetes, epilepsy, MS, PTSD, and neurological disorders.
It’s the CBD that relieves anxiety, inflammation, pain, psychosis, seizures, and spasms. It’s the THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) that makes you stoned enough not to care.
The Project CBD™ differentiates between CBD-rich cannabis and CBD-dominant forms: “By ‘CBD-rich,’ we mean a cannabis strain or product that has equal amounts of CBD and THC, or more CBD than THC (usually at least 4 percent CBD by dry weight.). By ‘CBD-dominant,’ we mean strains or products that are CBD-rich but have very little THC content.”
And, that is the argument that explains why many more states permit CBD products than recreational products.
10 highest CBD Cannabis Strains
- AC/DC: This is a legacy strain owing its origins to Cannatonic. The extremely dominant CBD content reduces anxiety, chemotherapy effects, epilepsy, MS, pain, and stress. The CBD content registers at 20%, and the very low THC shows as only 1% to 6%. That means it produces little or no psychoactive high, so it is not the first choice of recreational users.
- Blueberry Essence: Life Gardens of Washington produces a Blueberry Essence. Its fruity – blueberry and mango - aroma leaves an earthy taste, and it tests as relieving pain. The strain leaves patients relaxed, tingly, and sleepy. The balance shows as 9.6% THC/13.0% CBD.
- Cannatonic: This strain lists at Sativa/Indica (50/50). The taste has citrus and wood with an earthy smell. Its minimal high discourages recreational use, but the high CBD content (12%) treats epilepsy and pain with a relaxing and uplifting impact. Medical patients also use Cannatonic for ADD/ADHD, anxiety, arthritis, chronic pain, depression, and fibromyalgia.
- CBD Kush: CBD Crew and Dutch Passion developed this child of Kandy Kush as a hybrid strain with equal parts THC and CBD (7%/7%). Smokers with low tolerance for high impact effects and patients with anxiety, inflammation, and pain use CBD Kush. Its psychoactive effects offer a tame experience that relaxes muscles without too much mental cloudiness.
- Purple Cheese: A predominantly Indica-dominant hybrid delivers a heavy full body hit of relaxing CBD cannabinoids. Its energizing and social high moves quickly to an intense body stone. Purple Cheese works well for those seeking to relieve symptoms of ADD/ADHD, anxiety, bipolar disorder, chronic pain, depression, and eye pressure. In Purple Cheese, THC (12/16%) is higher than the CBD (0.00/4.0%) explaining the major stone.
- Sour Tsunami: This Sativa-dominant strain was specifically developed to be CBD dominant. Smell and taste of wood and earth produce only a slight buzz. It will leave you relaxed and pain free. Sativa heavy, the THC count is 10% or less while the CBD is very high at 11% to 13%.
- Stephen Hawking Kush: This Indica-dominant hybrid is part of Alphakrokik Genes’ CBD+ genetics line emphasizes high-CBD strains. Smells of earth and wood mix with citrus. The high 22% CBD level serves those looking to soothe pain and relax without sacrificing functionality or falling victim to paranoia or nausea that sometimes comes with smoking a strong strain.
- Valentine X: Another hybrid (50/50), Valentine X treats cancer-related discomforts, epilepsy, inflammation, and seizure disorders. An offspring of AC/DC, it boasts a pungent, citrusy skunk aroma. Users experience a creative high, euphoric mood and muscle relaxation. Its analgesic effects relieve stress, depression, nausea, and cancer pain. The strain is 70/80% THC and 15/18% CBD.
- Warlock: Magus Genetics developed this Indica-dominant strain for its stimulating focused high. While sharpening your brain, it reduces the inattention and boredom associated with ADD/ADHD mindsets. Sweet and sour, the results relieve stress and improve engagement. Warlock is high in both THC and CBD at 18% to 13% respectively.
- Zen: Hints of earth and sour berries mark this hybrid with a touch of lavender. The THC (10%) and CBD (8.6%) balance is valued for treating digestion disorders, as well as anorexia, anxiety, appetite, Chron’s disease, and nausea.
Medical marijuana has clear and defined markets, so products are multiplying. The strains listed here do not exhaust the number of CBD strains available, including Charlotte’s Web, Harlequin, Pennywise, and Remedy.
CBD works subtly and quietly. It interacts mildly with the user’s cannabinoid receptors. It works with cannabinoids to do a better job or it reduces barriers to the receptors’ performance.
This has made research into how CBD works difficult, but research into patient effects shows enough promise to encourage development of synthetic CBD.
In addition, CBD comes in many forms other than smoking strains. These include CBD Oil, Powder, Sprays, Tinctures, and Topicals.
Hemp Oil is also promoted as containing a low percentage of CBD, but it’s very low THC percentage and will not produce a high. Still, it should not be confused with CBD Oil. According to Eric Steenstra, executive director of Hemp Industries Association, “CBD is not a product or component of hemp seeds, and labeling to that effect is misleading and motivated by the desire to take advantage of the legal gray area of CBD under federal law.”
In states where CBD products are available for sale, the medical dispensary and/or retail store will gladly introduce you to products specific to your health needs.