If you’re interested in the high in marijuana, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) is what you want to check. But, it also has medical benefits as discovered by Dr. Raphael Mechoulam in the 1960s.
The chemical composition resembles other compounds in the human brain and body. The body naturally generates endocannbinoids to which marijuana’s cannabinoids map, a pattern like the mechanism of opioids.
Here’s a list of the top highest THC strains introduced over recent years:
1. Tutankhamun (King Tut) is the stuff of legends. Reputed to be almost 30% THC, it’s the stuff of which dreams and urban legends are made. Aromas of flowers and fruit mingle with dark earth, in this Sativa-dominant (80:20) strain.
We know more about the ancestors of the historical Pharaoh Tut that we do about this plant, and it’s not always easy to come by outside the northwest. That high THC can lead to anxiety, but most report it the effect is “cerebral and peppy making this a good choice for daytime errands social events, or creative endeavors.". Smokers use it to treat chronic pain, depression, inflammation, nausea, and stress. With such a high-level THC, it’s not for novices.
2. Bruce Banner #3 (The Incredible Hulk) clocks in with a muscular 29% THC. Bred from OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel, Bruce Banner #3 hits fast with a flush of euphoria before leaving you relaxed and creative. That heritage of diesel shows in the aroma mixed with some sweet smells. It reduces stress with a happy and uplifting feeling. And, despite a low CBD, smokers recommend it for treating ADD/ADHD, chronic pain, Crohn's Disease, depression, fatigue, and gastrointestinal disorders.
3. Blissful Wizard presents some 28%-34% THC, a potent hybrid (50:50) strain crossing Girl Scout Cookies and Captain’s Cookies for wood and apple flavors. That blissful flash treats anxiety, chronic pain, depression, fatigue, inflammation, and insomnia. It might be a bit strong for new smokers, but users swear by its medicinal effects.
4. The White tests for 18%-29% THC with a very low CBD at 0.02%. It will hit the brain fast and hard. The White starts warming your face and heard, buzzing the body, and leaving you totally medicated within half an hour. It will keep your body in place but race your mind. If you want to sleep, this is the one to try for anti-anxiety, pain relief, and muscle tension.
5. Gorilla Glue (or Gorilla Glue #4) contains 25%-28% THC for another powerful hitting 50:50 hybrid bred from Chocolate Diesel and Sour Dubb parents. It starts with a happy rush that leaves your brain hazy and gluey unable to focus on anything too soon or too long.
This one’s for those seeking couch lock, a total, full-bodied stone. It’s pungent, woodsy, and earthy aromas belie a harsh chemical taste. Effects last a long time and will make you forget chronic pain, depression, insomnia, muscle spasms, and nausea. But, first time users best beware of this multiple award winner.
6. Girl Scout Cookies is still a crowd favorite testing at 28% THC. It hits you with a euphoric punch and leaves you warm and relaxed for hours. The strong Indica presence leaves you spaced-out and relaxed fighting anxiety, depression, migraine headaches, and stress. Keep the dose light, and you can work through the day with only a slight loss of focus. But, hit it hard, and it will knock you out.
7. Tickle Kush may be the newest on this list, but it ranks high with a 28% THC level. It smells of apple, apricots, and berries. Bred from Chemdawg and LA Kush, the high Indica dominance (70:30) in this hybrid promises to relax and calm you after a fast hitting euphoria. You’ll laugh, giggle, talk, and feel creative. And, the strong body buzz will relieve chronic pain, depression, mood swings, muscle spasms, tension, and tremors.
8. Ghost Train Haze is another one of the legends, a Sativa-dominant hybrid at 80:20 with 27% THC. It’s been called the “most potent strain on earth” and delivers the genes from Ghost OG & Neville’s Wreck. Users consider it a wicked treat and caution new smokers away.
They have reported heavy use leading to psychedelic rushes leading to paranoia, so it’s not for anyone already experiencing anxiety. Sweet and sour, it has been used on small doses to treat arthritis, chronic pain, depression, fatigue, inflammation, and migraines.
9. Strawberry Cough is another Sativa-dominant (80:20) hybrid developed from a Erdbeer Sativa. It smells of fresh farmed strawberries, but it also leaves the most experienced smokers coughing hard. You can use it throughout the day because it won’t tire you.
But, the hefty and uplifting 22%-26% THC may treat ADD/ADHD, bipolar disorder, chronic pain, depression, fatigue, and loss of appetite. Strawberry Cough is on just about everyone’s favorite strain list.
10. Death Star is a stinky skunky choice and still strong at 20% THC, a blend of Sensi Star and Sour Diesel. It will do for daytime use, but it will take away all your troubles including appetite loss, chronic pain, and insomnia. Death Star is not to everyone’s, and it’s not the strain to start with.
New strains to watch in 2017
Of course, there are also Kosher Kush, Platinum OG, and White Walker OG. There’s a bunch of high-THC strains hitting the stores, but there’s not much info out there yet. You might ask about:
- Ogees by 1130 Artisans (30% THC)
- Do-Si-Dos by Collective Efforts (29.94% THC)
- Jet Fuel OG by Cookies SF (29.78% THC)
- Gelato #41 by Cookies SF (28.56% THC)
- Mega Wellness OG by Nameless Genetics x W.E.E.D. (28.9% THC)
As the market accessibility expands, more products will come to the dispensaries and stores, and as long as customers want a variety of experiences, breeders will be increasing the number and variety of THC-dominant trains.