It strikes me that the first prehistoric dude to light up a strong Sativa strain probably couldn’t take notes. The inclination was to keep it a secret and stay in the cave hoping the smell would keep others away. On the other hand, if he didn’t go too deep into it, he probably decided on marketing it.
Smoke signals and word-of-mouth spread the demand quickly. But the records indicate that it was used to promote healing. (If that’s what you want to believe!). The records, however, do not label the strains until markets and customers got serious about that over the past 75 years. So, we can talk about the strongest we Sativas we know as having been around as long as any Baby Boomer knows.
Here are 10 of the strongest Sativa dominant cannabis strains:
The following are listed by their THC content starting with the strongest:
1. 26-31% THC: Memory Loss may be named appropriately. It mixes Amnesia Haze and Face Off OG for the mind-blowing THC power pack. Look up “stoner” in the dictionary, and he or she is using Memory Loss.
This unfocused, disorienting high lasts for hour after hour. With some experience, you might feel a nice level of energy and creativity, and it might help with appetite loss, inflammation, insomnia, pain, and spasticity. But the fruity, spicy, bubblegum enjoyment should not mislead you. This is a powerful strain and somewhat hard to find.
2. 24-29% THC: Bruce Banner hulks over many top strains in U.S. dispensaries. This monstrous green is dark, potent, and popular. Bruce is the child of OG Kush and Strawberry Diesel, carrying citrus and spice without much of the diesel. THC-heavy for a 60: 40 Sativa: Indica ratio hybrid, it delivers a super euphoric cerebral experience to relieve (or make you forget) anxiety, depression, fatigue, and pain.
Bruce Banner #3 is a phenotype that lists among High Times’ Earth’s Strongest Strains in recent years. It balances an 80: 20 ratio with powerful and risky effects if used incorrectly. This is not a strain to start using because the floating euphoria can disorient you.
3. 27% THC: Hulkberry grabbed the High Times Cannabis Cup in 2013. A hybrid from Strawberry Cough and OG Kush, two dynamos in their own rights, it delivers touches of NYC Diesel and Chem Dawg strains.
This potency hits hard and fast with a bright euphoria, energetic creativity, and calm but not sedating finish. Hulkberry hits all the right buttons, and despite the high potency may be a strain-of-choice for new users.
4. 20-28% THC: Pineapple Express is a legend familiar among Millennials, but it dates to much earlier usage among military troops. It boasts pineapple, apple, mango, and other fruity flavors to heighten your senses and make your day.
Despite the heavy THC from Trainwreck and Hawaiian strains, Pineapple Express delivers a positive and memorable experience. The mild and calming body experience also explains its popularity. It brightens your focus, lightens your load, and strengthens your creativity. It is frequently recommended for anxiety and depression, chronic pain, and discomforting PTSD and related disorders.
5. 20-25% THC: Durban Poison is a landrace strain from South Africa, one of the originals from which everything follows. It tested at 22.43% THC for High Times Cannabis Cup in 2013. It is sweet and piney, and flavors and aromas are nothing remarkable.
Users can expect a powerful hit from the get-go. Smoked or dabbed, it sets many up for a creative day free of pain, stress, and depression. But paranoia is a distinct possibility for the uninitiated.
6. 15-25% THC: Green Crack has Snoop Dogg’s endorsement. If that is not enough for you, it is readily available at most legal dispensaries in the West (and throughout the black market). Carrying Skunk #1 genes, it also goes by Cush or Green Cush.
The high potency delivers a markedly cerebral high. You will ride and hopefully enjoy a major boost in mood and energy to treat ADHD, anxiety, PTSD, migraines, and more. It can be your wake-and-bake favorite, or the energy can overwhelm you. It’s not advised for new smokers.
7. 23-24.5% THC: Super Silver Haze is a smooth peachy experience. The Creamsicle flavors fool users because it covers the surprising punch that follows. Heir to Northern Lights and Skunk #1, it combines their strengths into a potent power punch awarded 1st Place Sativa Cannabis Cups in 1997, 1998, and 1999.
The long-lasting high pushes toward paranoia in some but leaves most experiences sedating and sleep ready. It may start with some energy but soon loses focus. Super Silver Haze prompts users to say the most profound if nonsensical things.
8. 22-24% THC: Strawberry Cough offers a ripe strawberry fragrance and after taste as well as a dry coughing fit. The strain blends Swiss Erdbeer Sativa, an unknown Indica, and maybe some original Haze. Although it tests high for THC, the experience is largely social.
Strawberry Cough tends to reduce stress and anxiety, especially in social situations. If the strawberry aroma doesn’t give you away, the coughing will. Nonetheless, you’ll enjoy an energetic focus and creativity. This is a 5-star experience even first-time patrons might enjoy.
9. 20-24% THC: G 13 is a diluted development reportedly originating with the US government (CIA, FBI, and more?) and laying strong Indica genes under the Sativa. This one took 1st Place in the 2007 Cannabis Cup and holds the #12 place among High Times’ All-Time Strain favorites.
Effects start early with a woozy spin leading to total body relaxation. It leaves the brain and body open to music, colors, and images. Light and amusing, it eases chronic pain, Lupus fatigue, loss of appetite, and sleep disorders.
10. 20-22% THC: Amnesia Haze lives up to its legendary lineage. Developed from plant genetics from Asia, Jamaica, and Hawaii, it flowers late but delivers good yields of huge powerful buds with dominating smoke and flavors.
This is a Hall of Fame Winner for Top 10 Sativa-dominant and Top 10 Haze Strains as well as multiple Cannabis Cups (2004 and 2014). And, it has long been a favorite in Amsterdam cafes which says a lot. (It also says it is easier to find and buy this strain in Europe and Jamaica than it is in the U.S. It remains to be seen if legalized dispensaries can stock up.)
The brain buzz will sneak up on you, and you may not remember the high-potency energy and euphoria. Recommended for morning or evening, this may not be for virgin users.
Sativa landraces and Sativa-dominant hybrids get your attention fast and hold on to it for a long time. Many veteran users rely on them for regular use. Some prefer them as a special treat. But newcomers probably want to work their way up to habitual use.